Creswell Presbyterian Church in 1911
Norm and Barbara Few
Creswell Presbyterian Church Today
In 1893, the Presbyterians in Creswell and the surrounding area began meeting in the Methodist Episcopal Church. On August 5, 1905, the Presbyterians decided to "build a house of Worship." On February 25, 1906, the church was formally dedicated as the Cumberland Presbyterian church with Rev. S. Green as its minister. The new church was located at 75 South 4th Street in Creswell. On April 1, 1907, the church's name was changed to the First Presbyterian Church of Creswell. In 1910, after two years of work, a large manse was built next door to the church to provide a home for the minister and their family.
In January of 1952, Gerald Emerson, a former missionary, arrived in Creswell with his wife, Martha and two children. During Emerson's four years as minister, he built an active youth group and constructed the Fellowship Hall on the east side of the church. Martha Emerson was the choir director and an active partner in the ministry.
In August of 1957, a young pastor from St. Paul, Minnesota arrived in Oregon looking for his first church. Norm Few liked the small town with dedicated congregation and decided to stay for a little over 54 years. When Norm arrived, church attendance was low with many members inactive. However, Norm brought with him a sense of humor, compassion for those in need, and a dedication to community service which continues to be carried forth by the congregation into the community to this day. Slowly the church gained membership, and after only a few years was able to make significant gains. On May 1, 1959, he married Barbara Tiedje. Norm and Barbara raised four children in the manse, David, Mark, Karen and Kathy. Barbara, a registered nurse, ministered to the congregation through her medical and listening skills. She started a children's choir called the "Red Robers", and remains a dedicated member of the adult choir.
On Sunday, July 8, 2018, in gratitude for his 54+ years of faithful and loving service (1957 - 2011), the Reverend Norm Few was officially honored through appointment as our “Pastor Emeritus”.
In the early 1960's, the church expanded the Fellowship Hall and bought the rest of the block around the church. In 1971, the First Methodist Church closed its doors and many former Methodists became parishioners at the First Presbyterian Church.
In 1996, the church congregation began raising money to repair and update the church and manse buildings in preparation for the church's 100th anniversary in 2006. The church's steeple and bell tower, that had blown off in the mid-1950's, was replaced in January 2006.
While this brief history of the church buildings, the true church is made up of the church family that has worshiped God in these structures for over 100 years. The love of Christ has enabled and encouraged this congregation to pray and support each other as they receive God's blessings.
Rev. S. Green 1905 - 1908
Rev. Waaley 1908 - 1909
Rev. W. V. McGee 1910 - 1912
Rev. Donald A. Mackinzie 1912
Rev. F. L. Fraser 1912 - 1914
Rev. Prater 1914 - 1915
Rev. W. A. ? 1916 - 1920
Rev. George Cromley 1920 - 1933
Rev. S. B. Cook 1934, 1936 - 1938
Rev. F. E. Darris 1944 - 1948
Rev. James A. Maberg 1948 - 1950
Rev. W. Lee Gray 1950 - 1952
Rev. Gerald E. Emerson 1952 - 1955
Rev. Frank Grey 1955 - 1956
Rev. Ralph Clark 1956 - 1957
Rev. Norm Few 1957 - 2011
Rev. Sayer Strauch 2011 - 2013
Rev. James D. Friesen 2013 - 2016
Rev. Seth Wheeler 2017 - 2022
Rev. Zane K. Buxton 2023 - Present